International virtual conference "Give life to Aral "
On November 4, 2020 Agency of Information and Mass Communications under the Administration of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan in cooperation with UN offices in Uzbekistan will hold international online conference "Give life to the Aral Sea".
The purpose of this event is to raise global awareness about the Aral Sea disaster.
The event will be attended by representatives of international organizations, ecologists, scientists, influencers and bloggers, among others:
- Natalia Gherman, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Central Asia and Head of the United Nations Regional Centre for Preventive Diplomacy for Central Asia;
- Agi Veres, Deputy Director, UNDP Europe and the CIS;
- Helena Fraser, UN Resident Coordinator in Uzbekistan;
- Benjamin Grant, a visual artist who uses satellite imagery to create thought-provoking photographs of our planet;
- Inna Wolfson, UNICEF Advisor on Adolescent and Youth Development.
The conference will discuss the prospects of implementing international experience in the development of social entrepreneurship in the region as an additional measure to mitigate the consequences of the environmental disaster in terms of employment of local people, improving their welfare, as well as innovative tools and mechanisms in the field of environmental restoration; priority measures to address health problems in the Aral region, etc.
At the same time, the hashtag #GiveLifetoAral has been launched in social networks to disseminate current information about the situation around the Aral Sea. Members of the public, journalists, bloggers and everyone who wishes can join this initiative and record a video, publish a picture related to the Aral Sea catastrophe or publish the words of solidarity to the residents of the Aral region and put it in their social networks.